Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani has ended
media speculation about his future by signing a new five-year
contract with Napoli.
The club made the announcement at a news conference on
Friday where flamboyant president Aurelio De Laurentiis
initially made out that Cavani was moving to Manchester City.
"At times marriages come to an end. Unfortunately Edi wants
to go to England, to that cold city of Manchester, and there's a
plane ready to take him there," said De Laurentiis as he sat
alongside a giggling Cavani.
Cavani then signed his new Napoli deal in front of the
"I thank the president who has believed in me and enabled me
to remain in this amazing city," the 25-year-old striker said.
"Every time I go out on the pitch I want to win. That's my
mentality and that of the team."
De Laurentiis said Cavani had a release clause of 60 million
euros in his new contract.
The Uruguayan had been linked by media reports with moves to
City and European champions Chelsea.
Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho will part company at the end of the current season
Manchester City midfielder called up to the England squad for summer friendlies
Spurs miss out on Champions League again despite highest Premier League points tally
Champions closer to matching Real Madrid's La Liga record of 100 points with 2-1 win
Ten years on, the legends speak to FFT
Your questions answered by an A to Z of legends
He's here, he's there, he's...
The cost of Premier League away travel
Nike CR7 IX for you
FourFourTwo is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media & FourFourTwo is part of Haymarket Sport
| International Licensing | © Haymarket Media Group 2010