ROME - Italian clubs will only be allowed
to buy one non-European Union player in the coming season after
the football federation voted to change the rules on Friday
following the Azzurri's World Cup flop.
Teams had previously been allowed to buy two non-EU players
per season but action has been taken to increase the pool of
Italian talent after the world champions crashed out in the
group stage in South Africa.
But the top flight Serie A, which will govern itself this
term for the first time, reacted angrily to the decision.
"The reduction was approved by the federation board with
Serie A voting against. The decision leaves a bitter taste in
the mouth and does not resolve Italian football's problems," Serie
A president Maurizio Beretta told the new Serie A website.
Inter Milan won the Champions League final in May without an
Italian in their starting lineup while new Italy coach Cesare
Prandelli said on Thursday he would consider foreign players
eligible for the Azzurri if he had to.
Follow FFT.com on Twitter
Join FFT.com on Facebook
Borussia Dortmund's Mario Gotze ruled out of Champions League final against Bayern Munich
Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini will leave the La Liga club at the end of the current season
Stoke City and manager Tony Pulis part company by mutual agreement after seven years
Andy Carroll pulls out of England's friendly internationals against Ireland and Brazil
Ten years on, the legends speak to FFT
Your questions answered by an A to Z of legends
He's here, he's there, he's...
The cost of Premier League away travel
Nike CR7 IX for you
FourFourTwo is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media & FourFourTwo is part of Haymarket Sport
| International Licensing | © Haymarket Media Group 2010