MILAN, Oct 25 (Reuters) - The threat of a Serie A players'
strike was revived on Monday when the footballers' union said
talks with the league had broken down.
A weekend strike was called in September with the union
angry with Serie A plans for a new collective contract which
would force players to accept transfers or a place outside the
first team squad if they were no longer wanted by clubs.
The strike was postponed after talks began again but the
union has now walked out, after previously saying negotiations
would go on until the end of November.
"An agreement with Serie A is a long way off," players'
union chief Sergio Campana said in a statement. "There has not
been a single step forward since September.
"Now we will talk with the players and decide together what
to do. We need the football federation's intervention."
The September strike was called off in part because the
union generally lacked public sympathy given the vast sums of
money top players earn during a time of global economic
"A players' strike would be unjustified and grotesque,"
Serie A president Maurizio Beretta told reporters.
Borussia Dortmund's Mario Gotze ruled out of Champions League final against Bayern Munich
Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini will leave the La Liga club at the end of the current season
Stoke City and manager Tony Pulis part company by mutual agreement after seven years
Andy Carroll pulls out of England's friendly internationals against Ireland and Brazil
Ten years on, the legends speak to FFT
Your questions answered by an A to Z of legends
He's here, he's there, he's...
The cost of Premier League away travel
Nike CR7 IX for you
FourFourTwo is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media & FourFourTwo is part of Haymarket Sport
| International Licensing | © Haymarket Media Group 2010