Chile international forward Eduardo
Vargas is set to undergo a medical with Serie A side Napoli
ahead of a January transfer, the club said on Thursday.
The 22-year-old will join in the New Year after completing
the domestic campaign with current club Universidad de Chile.
"We are closing the deal with Vargas," Napoli sporting
director Ricardo Bigon said on the club website.
"The negotiations had already started for some time now and
our doctor is going to South America to carry out medical
The capture of Vargas comes days after forward Ezequiel
Lavezzi was ruled out for four weeks with a thigh injury
following Sunday's 3-1 home defeat to AS Roma.
Vargas is likely to be Napoli's only recruit in the January
transfer window with close-season signings Miguel Britos and
Marco Donadel close to returning from long-term injuries.
"I think Vargas will be our only January purchase," Bigon
"Britos and Donadel will recover and we will have the full
roster in all departments."
Napoli, who play Chelsea in the last 16 of the Champions
League in February and March, are currently sixth in Serie A, 10
points behind leaders AC Milan.
Bayern fans snap up 45,000 tickets to watch Champions League final live at Allianz Arena
When Sir Alex wakes up on Monday morning without team to manage, he will not be putting his feet up
Paris Saint-Germain midfielder announces he will be retiring at the end of the current season
Record goal-scorer signs a one-year contract extension with Europa League winners Chelsea
Ten years on, the legends speak to FFT
Your questions answered by an A to Z of legends
He's here, he's there, he's...
The cost of Premier League away travel
Nike CR7 IX for you
FourFourTwo is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media & FourFourTwo is part of Haymarket Sport
| International Licensing | © Haymarket Media Group 2010