Olympique Marseille's new
coach Elie Baup denied any intentional wrongdoing on Tuesday
after he was charged with fraud over jobless benefits by a
The 57-year-old, who took over as the Ligue 1 side's coach
earlier this month as Didier Deschamps quit and joined France,
is accused of having received benefits while he was working for
French television channel Canal+ after he was sacked by Nantes
A judge from Toulouse, where Baup was living before moving
to Marseille, laid the charges in June but the news was only
made public on Tuesday.
Baup, who led Girondins Bordeaux to the French league title
in 1999, said he would happily return the money.
"I had no intention to fraud," he told a news conference at
Marseille's training facility La Commanderie.
"This is the reality. I trusted some law experts and
advisors who led me into this... I am willing to pay some
damages, even to give the whole money back. I'll do whatever it
Olympique Marseille, who reached the Champions League
quarter finals last season but had a poor Ligue 1 campaign,
travel to Turkish side Eskisehirspor for their Europa League
preliminary third round first leg on Thursday.
Pardew to report to returning ex-manager
Sub scores to make it three World Cups in a row
Three-year jail sentence a possibility
Principality project faces legal wrangles over exceptional circumstances
Who would you rather have playing for your club?
12 months out, the stars look to the World Cup
Your questions answered by an A to Z of legends
75% of all TV is Bale
On the road to ruin
Adidas Nitrocharge for you
FourFourTwo is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media & FourFourTwo is part of Haymarket Sport
| International Licensing | © Haymarket Media Group 2010