Brazilian full-back Roberto
Carlos will not play for his club Anzhi Makhachkala this season
after being taken off the squad list, the wealthy Russian
Premier League side said on Friday.
"That is true, his name has been withdrawn from the players'
list," Anzhi vice-president German Chistyakov told local media.
Roberto Carlos, who turns 39 in April, earlier said that he
was planning to retire at the end of the year.
The 2002 World Cup winner with Brazil did not play for Anzhi
in last week's 1-0 win over Dynamo Moscow - their first league
game following a three-month winter break.
Anzhi coach Guus Hiddink said then that he might still use
the experienced defender from time to time.
Roberto Carlos served as Anzhi's joint caretaker coach at
the second half of last year after their long-serving boss
Gadzhi Gadzhiyev was sacked.
Anzhi's billionaire owner Suleiman Kerimov has said he wants
to make the Brazilian a director for the rich club from the
volatile North Caucasus region.
Seventh-placed Anzhi, who trail fifth-placed Lokomotiv
Moscow by a point, host Spartak Moscow, in fourth spot, on
Borussia Dortmund's Mario Gotze ruled out of Champions League final against Bayern Munich
Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini will leave the La Liga club at the end of the current season
Stoke City and manager Tony Pulis part company by mutual agreement after seven years
Andy Carroll pulls out of England's friendly internationals against Ireland and Brazil
Ten years on, the legends speak to FFT
Your questions answered by an A to Z of legends
He's here, he's there, he's...
The cost of Premier League away travel
Nike CR7 IX for you
FourFourTwo is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media & FourFourTwo is part of Haymarket Sport
| International Licensing | © Haymarket Media Group 2010