Covid outbreak at Reading forces postponement of Luton clash

Reading’s Championship match at home to Luton on Saturday has been postponed due to a Covid-19 outbreak.
Reading said there had been a “significant number” of positive PCR tests among both the first-team squad and under-23s.
The game is the second in the Championship this weekend to be called off due to Covid after QPR’s visit to Swansea was also postponed.
A statement on the Reading website said: “The club informed the EFL this morning that, following the return of a significant number of positive PCR tests within our first team and under-23 squads, we are unable to field a team capable of fulfilling the fixture on Saturday.
“In light of the increased rate of transmissions from the Omicron variant of Covid-19, the EFL will review the circumstances surrounding the postponement and work with affected clubs to assist them throughout this challenging period.
“A rearranged date for the fixture will be announced in due course.”
Get FourFourTwo Newsletter
The best features, fun and footballing quizzes, straight to your inbox every week.

'They said I fought with Mario Balotelli at Swansea and against Sunderland. That shocked me. My lawyers called me about this, and it was the first I knew about it. It upset me, and I feel sorry for Mario.' Yaya Toure clears up Manchester City fight talk

‘Sir Alex told Van Persie to watch my goal back at Anfield for some shooting tips! It was a beautiful goal, though. It’s a shame that I didn’t do it more often’: Manchester United cult hero recalls stunning strike against Liverpool