Maldini turns down Italy invite
MILAN - AC Milan defender Paolo Maldini has rejected the chance to make a one-off comeback for Italy in their friendly with Northern Ireland next month.

The 40-year-old, who retires at the end of the season, had previously expressed interest in adding to his Italian record of 126 caps having quit the Azzurri in 2002 but told Thursday's Gazzetta dello Sport he would not play the June 6 match.
"No, I won't play a farewell game with the national team but I thank the federation for showing willingness," Maldini said. "I prefer to leave football in an official game."
Get FourFourTwo Newsletter
The best features, fun and footballing quizzes, straight to your inbox every week.

‘So many times when we played Manchester United, arguments would start before the first whistle had even blown – the players would try to kill each other with their eyes’ Former Arsenal star remembers famous Premier League rivalry

Bizarre Jose Mourinho statement aims to pre-empt punishment after Fenerbahce boss clashes with Galatasaray counterpart