Manchester United report: Club will not block Cristiano Ronaldo exit in January
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag left Ronaldo on the bench for Sunday's chastening derby defeat to Manchester City

Manchester United will not stop Cristiano Ronaldo from leaving the club in January, according to reports.
The Portuguese icon's United future has been the subject of speculation ever since he informed the club in July that he wanted to move on.
An exit never came to fruition, but The Telegraph claim that Ronaldo will be allowed to depart during the next transfer window should a suitable offer come in.
Chelsea, Napoli and Bayern Munich were all said to be interested in signing Ronaldo this summer – while Saudi champions Al-Hilal recently revealed that they "negotiated with" the 37-year-old but were impeded by a transfer ban.
Ronaldo re-joined United from Juventus in August last year, 12 years after leaving Old Trafford for Real Madrid.
But his second spell at the club where he first made a name for himself the best part of two decades ago has often been less than harmonious. Despite scoring a squad-high 24 goals in all competitions last season, many have argued that Ronaldo has hindered the overall performance of the team.
Having finished as runners-up to Manchester City in 2020/21, United dropped to sixth in the Premier League last term under Ralf Rangnick – who replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in December.
Get FourFourTwo Newsletter
The best features, fun and footballing quizzes, straight to your inbox every week.
After an abysmal start to 2022/23 under new manager Erik ten Hag, United kickstarted their season with victory over Liverpool, sparking a four-match winning run – with Ronaldo, who has made only one league start this term, coming on as a substitute in each game.
But Sunday's 6-3 derby humiliation away to Manchester City showed how far they still have to go in order to compete for top honours again. During the game at the Etihad Stadium, Ronaldo cut a frustrated figure as he was left on the bench.
More Manchester United stories
After seeing his side lose the highest-scoring Manchester derby of all time, Erik ten Hag explained that he opted not to bring Ronaldo on out of respect for his career.
Could Ronaldo be one of two big-name attacking players on their way out of Old Trafford in the near future? Marcus Rashford has been linked with a sensational switch to Barcelona next summer.
Meanwhile, United legend Gary Neville has said that he feels David de Gea's days as Red Devils number are numbered because the goalkeeper doesn't suit Ten Hag's style.
Tom Hancock started freelancing for FourFourTwo in April 2019 and has also written for the Premier League and Opta Analyst, among others. He supports Wycombe Wanderers and has a soft spot for Wealdstone. A self-confessed statto, he has been known to watch football with a spreadsheet (or several) open...

'Andy Robertson has a decision to make as a player, where you either roll your sleeves up and give someone great competition or you accept decisions and say that your time is done.' Alan Shearer on the conundrum facing Arne Slot's Liverpool

'He’s better than anything Manchester United or Chelsea have got up front, so the answer is simple: it’s inevitable that he’ll be linked with massive football clubs because he’s a really good talent.' Alan Shearer on the next superstar on the move